This policy describes the type of information we collect from you and/or that you may provide us when you visit and/or use this website and/or any of our mobile applications (individually or collectively, “Website”). “You/your/user(s)” means you as a user of our Website.
We strive to keep your Personal Information private and safe. We take commercially reasonable physical, technical, and administrative steps to maintain the security of Personal Information collected, including limiting the number of people who have physical access to database servers, as well as employing electronic security systems and password protections that guard against unauthorized access.
Unfortunately, despite our best efforts, the transmission of data over the Internet cannot be guaranteed to be 100% secure. While we will use reasonable means to ensure the security of information you transmit through the Website, any transmission of Personal Information is at your own risk. We cannot guarantee that such information will not be intercepted by third parties, and we will not be liable for any breach of the security of your Personal Information resulting from causes or events that are beyond our control, including, without limitation, your own act or omission, corruption of storage media, defects in third-party data security products or services, power failures, natural phenomena, riots, acts of vandalism, hacking, sabotage, or terrorism, and we are not responsible for unauthorized circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures contained on the Website.
What Information Does College Advising Corps Collect?
- We collect contact information. We collect your name and email address. We may also collect your mailing address and phone number.
- We collect affiliation information. We may collect information about how you are affiliated with or connected to College Advising Corps.
- We collect payment information. If you make a donation we will collect payment information.
- We collect usage and location information. We collect information about the browser you are using. We also look at what site you came from to get to us. We look at what site you go to when you leave us. We may collect information about your general location. We collect information about whether you open and view the emails we send you.
How Does College Advising Corps Collect Information?
- We collect information directly from you. For example, we collect information from you when you sign up for the CAC newsletter or make a donation, including payment or credit card information. We also collect information when you contact us, including by email.
- We collect information from you passively. We use tracking tools like browser cookies, web beacons, and pixels. We do this on our website and in emails that we send to you. We collect information about users over time when you use our website. We may also have third parties collect personal information this way. Such information includes but is not limited to, the IP address of your device, the unique identifiers of your device, your browser characteristics, information on actions taken by you on or Website, etc. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies. If you do not wish to have cookies on your system, you can set your browser to refuse them. Please review the specific instructions from your browser in order to do this. However, please note that not accepting cookies may make certain features of our Website unavailable or difficult to view or use.
- We get information about you from third parties. Our partners and vendors, such as our email provider and donation processor, may give us information about you.
- We combine information. We combine information that we have collected offline with information we collect online. We also combine information we get from a third party with information we already have. This might include third parties that help us provide services or collect donations for us.
How Does College Advising Corps Use the Information it Collects?
- We use information to respond to your requests or questions. For example, we use your information to respond to your feedback and inquiries.
- We use information to improve our services. We might use your information to make our website and services better.
- We use information for security purposes. We use information to protect our organization and our supporters. We also use information to protect our website.
- We use information for solicitation purposes. We may provide you with other information, for instance about new donation opportunities.
- We use information to send you transactional communications. For example, we will contact you about your feedback. We may also contact you about your donations. We might also contact you about this Policy or our website Terms.
We use information as otherwise permitted by law or as we may notify you.
How Does College Advising Corps Share the Information it Collects?
- We will share information with third parties who perform services on our behalf. We share information with vendors that send emails to us. We share information with companies that run our website.
- We will share information if we think we have to in order to comply with the law or to protect ourselves. For example, we will share information to respond to a court order or subpoena. We may share it if a government agency or investigatory body requests.
- We may share information with any successor to all or part of our organization. For example, if we combine with another not-for-profit organization, we may share your information with that organization.
We may share information for other reasons we may describe to you.
You can opt out of receiving our newsletter emails or other non-transactional emails. To stop receiving our newsletter emails, or to stop receiving any other non-transactional email we send you, follow the instructions in any message you receive from us. Even if you opt out of getting newsletters or other specific emails, we will still send you transactional messages, such as messages related to donations or messages containing information about important updates.
Protecting Children’s Privacy
Our site is meant for adults. We do not knowingly collect personally identifiable information from children under 13 without permission from a parent or guardian. If you are a parent or legal guardian and think your child under 13 has given us information, you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also write to us at the address listed at the end of this policy. Please mark your inquiries “COPPA Information Request.” Parents, you can learn more about how to protect children’s privacy online here.
The Internet is not 100% secure. We cannot promise that your use of our site will be completely safe. We encourage you to use caution when using the Internet.
Third Party Sites
If you use a third-party website or application to access our Website or your account on our Website, your activities on such third-party sites or apps are governed by the privacy practices of those sites or apps. The privacy policies of other sites and apps may differ significantly from ours, and we have no control over the operation of those sites or apps or the manner in which they collect, store, or process data.
We do not want you to send us any confidential or proprietary information through email or otherwise. Any information, materials, suggestions, ideas, or comments sent to us will be considered non-confidential, and by submitting the same to us, you are giving us the absolute right to use, modify, reproduce, transmit, display, and distribute the information for any purpose whatsoever, with no payment or other compensation to you. However, we will not use your name unless we are required by law to identify the source of the materials, information, suggestions, ideas, or comments, or unless we first obtain your permission.
Notice to California Consumer
The following applies to you only if you are a California resident.
Under California Civil Code sections 1798.83-1798.84, California residents are entitled to ask us for a notice describing what categories of Personal Information we share with third parties or corporate affiliates for those third parties or corporate affiliates’ direct marketing purposes. That notice will identify the categories of information shared and will include a list of the third parties and affiliates with which it was shared, along with their names and addresses. At this time, we do not share any Personal Information with third parties or affiliates for their direct marketing purposes.
As noted at the beginning of this Policy, from time to time we may change our privacy policies. We will notify you of any material changes to our Policy as required by law. We will also post an updated copy on our sites. Please check our sites periodically for updates.
Contacting College Advising Corps
If you have any questions, comments, or complaints about this Policy or want to correct or update your information, please contact us:
5540 Centerview Drive
Suite 204, PMB 41997
Raleigh, North Carolina 27606-8012 US
Effective June 1, 2023